I shared this on a group I am on for mamas, for a mama making the decision whether or not to treat for being group B strep positive in pregnancy. I left a lot out. So much of the details...they are burned into my memory, but I'm not sure everyone wants them. Some things...change you. Forever. But I just wanted to share it publicly, in case it helps someone.
Ok. here is our GBS story...it's a little different...
I was never GBS+ except with #4, out of 6. I struggled with it. Almost fought the test, as I'd never done it before and thought it was silly. then almost refused the antibiotics. I'd been with a midwife till midway through and had to switch to a obgyn for financial reasons, and was very unhappy about his rules. but the abx were NOT optional, and dh wasn't ok with me refusing them, either. So, I gave in.
Less than a month later, dh got sick. Really sick. We spent a month back and forth to drs 2-3x a week. Misdiagnosis after misdiagnosis. it was bad. He lost 40lbs in a month, was in a wheelchair, a dr accused me of overmedicating him (almost suggested munchausens!)...when they finally caught it, he was going septic. Turned out, he had a UTI/kidney/prostate infection that had abcessed into his back/hip/SI joint/thigh bone...and it was Group B Strep. It was bad. He spend 11 days in the hospital, 3 surgeries, came home with a wound vac and a PICC line. They almost amputated his right leg. He was told he'd never walk again, never work again...he did both. Took him 8 months to get back to work, but he did. He fought to keep working for 7 years, but a year and a half ago, went on permanent disability.
Group B Strep scares me. I am SO GLAD God put me with an OBGYN who would NOT ALLOW me to skip the abx, because I would have. And if it could do such to my fully grown husband, who was pretty darn healthy (he was diabetic at that time, but completely diet controlled, physical job, active guy...)...what would it have done to my baby.
DS1, that baby, does have Autism Spectrum Disorder...specifically Aspergers. Did the antibiotics cause that? I don't know. I will never know probably. But would I change the choice I made for the abx? Never. Is it the right choice for you? I don't know. I really don't. But really pray about it, and talk to your husband, etc. Because it CAN be a huge decision. Dh still has battles with it. he gets UTIs several times a year, and about half are GBS. He is just recovering from one now, and was almost in a wheelchair again for a few days.
Hugs, and praying for your decision. I don't share this to scare you, but to tell you honestly what a rough bug it is. If I can prevent one other mama from thinking "Group B Strep? What? Oh, no big deal" the way I did...I will.