random notes and chit chat from the insanity of our life

Peek into our life and see how crazy it can get with 6 kids, homeschooling, sewing, and now farming. We're in our first year on the land, and entertaining the world with what we don't know. By the grace of God, we're learning, day by day, so pull up a chair and laugh with us!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

No perfect parents here

So, on another website I go to, I know this gal.  I bet you know one like her.  We all know one...the Perfect Parent.  You know the type.  Her child never had an accident (potty or otherwise).  He never backtalks.  He always chews with his mouth closed.  He slept through the night at 3 days old, napped on schedule from birth (a schedule that fit AROUND her schedule) without being rocked or nursed, weaned on his first birthday without a fuss.  Mom never used the tv as a babysitter, heck, they probably don't HAVE tv, and if they do, they only use it for educational programming, and NEVER before age 2.  He read at 3 years old, potty trained at 2, has impeccable manners, gets straight A's and his clothes always match.  On the rare occasion that he misbehaves, they have a family talk, and it never happens again, because "we used reason with him, and now he understands".
I hate those types.
I know, I shouldn't hate.  Ok.  I dislike them immensely.  Better?  But it's ok, because I WAS one.  Most perfect parents have one...maybe 2 kids.  I rarely meet any with more.  And I think I know why.  You see, as I said...I WAS a perfect parent.  With my first baby, I did everything right.  And hence, she was perfect...right?
Funny thing is, I now have 6 kids, and I know I am NOT a perfect parent, and PTL for that!  You see, when I was "perfect", I thought that I was in control.  If I parented perfectly, she would turn out perfectly.  I never considered HER personality in that.  I now have 6 kids, all different, and I know that it's not me.  It's really NOT about me.  Each has their own personality.  Their own good and bad points.  Their quirks, their flaws, their gifts.  Strengths and weaknesses.  They are all, gasp, human.  And I love them that way.  Each is individual, the way God made them, and while my parenting affects them, it doesn't MAKE them.
And let me tell you, it takes a lot of the pressure off when you understand all this.  Because I'm NOT perfect, and if I have to be, then we are ALL in trouble.  But knowing that it's not all about me makes me a much better parent, because I can enjoy them in all their imperfections, without having to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it. 
And if God can love ME, as flawed as I am...well then, they are safe, because they are certainly better than I am, already.  And if that is the only thing I teach them, that we don't have to be perfect to be loved, by Him and by humans, then I think maybe, I've done it right after all.
My kids have accidents.  They backtalk.  They sleep in our bed till they are 2-4 years old, and nurse about as long.  They misbehave, much more frequently than I'd like.  They watch too much tv, have no real schedule, and sometimes, the outfits they choose to wear make me cringe.  And they are wonderful loving children, full of life and joy and the love of Christ.  We snuggle, we read, we laugh, we make a mess, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment