random notes and chit chat from the insanity of our life

Peek into our life and see how crazy it can get with 6 kids, homeschooling, sewing, and now farming. We're in our first year on the land, and entertaining the world with what we don't know. By the grace of God, we're learning, day by day, so pull up a chair and laugh with us!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Bye bye, Bobs.

so, yesterday was a big day here on the Crazy Farm.  Butchering day.  17 Cornish cross chickens to get butchered (the kids called them the Bobs, don't know why).  Last year, I did 6, and did them 2 a day over 3 days.  This time...I was doing them all at once. 
Started out slowly, because I didn't realize how long it would take to get the water hot.  Had borrowed a propane burner from a friend.  Next time, I'll start the water before breakfast, and be ready to go much earlier.  But yesterday, we didn't get started butchering till after almost noon.  The above pic is the chickens in their "tractor" (mobile chicken coop), awaiting their fate. 
I won't show pics of the butchering process (didn't take any, even), but if you want to see how it's done, there are plenty of blogs online.  I like the one Howling Duck Ranch has, with step by step instructions.  Helpful.  http://howlingduckranch.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/butchering-chickens/
And some of my help wasn't.  DH was having a bad day, wasn't able to help.  DD1(16) was to watch the little kids, because she can't handle butchering, and DD2(12) to be my big helper, with DD3(8) and DS1(6) assisting.  Turned out that DS1 got bored after 2 chickens, and DD2 was moody and cranky, so DD1 volunteered to try to help and switched with DD2.  I'm INCREDIBLY proud of DD1, because I know how hard that was for her, but she wanted it done in one day, so she could attend youth group today (and she is there now, mind you).  It's a real sign of maturity, IMO, to be able to do things you really don't WANT to do, or don't LIKE to do, just because it needs to be done.
So, 7 hours later, we had this.......
5 whole chickens (wrapped in unscented garbage bags, yes, because they didn't FIT in the ziplocs!), 12 cut into parts.  They'll age till tonight or tomorrow, then into the freezer with them.  And a bucket with some giblets to give to a friend who wanted them.  7 hours from first kill to cleaned up and showered.  Not too bad, IMO!  DD3 was our "clean person", for getting drinks, holding the bags and putting them in the gridge, weighing and writing... 
And weights, while I'm thinking of it. 
Largest whole chicken was 112oz, or 7lbs, cleaned and bagged (all weights are cleaned and bagged).  Smallest was 70oz.
Largest bag of parts (bone in breasts and leg quarters) was 77oz.  Smallest bag of parts (boneless breasts and bone in leg quarters) was 36oz.  Not too shabby. 
I think it's time to order more.  But I think I'll schedule a day to go to the processor, lol, since I plan to order 50 next.  I'm tired just THINKING about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment